The first step in your 826michigan journey is to fill out the volunteer application below!
Please allow at least two weeks to hear from us after you apply. We’ll follow up with these next steps:
Attend a one-hour session to learn more about volunteer specifics
Everyone’s favorite part. Just a few forms like program agreements and interest forms
A very helpful two-hour session dealing with strategies for working with students
You’re all set – all that’s left to do is use our volunteer calendar to let us know when you’ll be helping out.
- At least 18 years old and finished with high school (or equivalent)
- For virtual programming: access to reliable wi-fi, and a computer, laptop, or tablet with Zoom
- A passion for amplifying student voices
- A desire to build healthy relationships and learning skills, and engage in mutual learning and collaboration
- Consistency and reliability
- Enthusiasm for affirming students’ identities, strengths, and imagination
- Experience in (or willingness to learn about) working with students of color and anti-racist educational practices
Questions you may have
Do I have to be an expert in all school subjects to volunteer?
No. Volunteers are not expected to have all the answers. What’s most important is that you can work alongside students and collaborate in the learning process.
Do I have to be a professional writer to volunteer?
No. 826michigan believes everyone is a writer—students and grown-ups alike!